Monday, June 27, 2011

My Controversial Underwear

A few weeks ago, my friend Ashley and I were walking our usual route home. We passed by a store we frequented, Intimissimmi, and were about to pass by the mannequin display when something caught my eye.

Tongues wagging, eyes bulging, hands outstretched....these men were after something. They looked like ravenous BEASTS.

"Hmm...I wonder what all those guys are chasing on those underwear," I asked.

"I don't know, let's wait and see," Ashley said.

The mannequin turned ever so slowly before finally revealing the most true to life depiction of my time here in Spain.


Ashley was off to the side of me dying from laughter while I just stood their with my mouth agape.

My first thought was 'Of all the different races in the world they have a BLACK woman!?'

It perfectly describes my life in Spain. I receive catcalls, kissing noises and of course the ever so popular "morena guapa."

"Naomi, you have to get it," Ashley said between breaths of laughter.

We went inside Intimissimmi and I bought the underwear originally intended for men.

However, I was confused with what was on the front of the underwear.

"What's a 'bunga bunga dance'," I asked.

"Who knows," Ashley replied.

I already had the feeling that it was a sexual innuendo of some sort, I mean, they're on the front of boxer briefs, so I went home and researched it anyway.

The term "bunga bunga" originated in 1910 with an unknown meaning. However, by 2010, it received a new definition.

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has caused quite the political scandal with his "bunga bunga parties." These parties are reported to have been erotic sex parties with a number of women, one including a minor.

In an article by NowPublic, the women of Italy are tired of Berlusconi and his antics and decide to protest. So what did they decide to do?

They throw underwear in his front yard.

That's where Intimissimmi comes in. Upon hearing this, the Italian lingerie store decides to make the "Bunga Bunga Dance" underwear.

That's how those underwear trickled down to me. While I bought them for a COMPLETELY different reason, it's quite comical knowing that I have underwear with such a controversial background.

No comments:

Post a Comment