Saturday, July 30, 2011

Travel Challenge: Day 11--Milestones or “Firsts” While Traveling or Living Abroad

It was quite hard for me to think about any milestones or "firsts" I had while abroad, but I finally thought of two good ones.

Doing my "business" in a trashcan.
This may be TMI for some, but it was for a good cause! My first trip out of the country was a missions trip to Saltillo, Mexico when I was 15. I was told that the toilet system at the hotel wasn't up to par and that it'd be best to do my "business" in a trashcan and then take it to the dumpster once I was finished. Of course, I followed the rules, only to find out that there was nothing wrong with the toilets! It was quite embarrassing and a "first" for me on my first trip outside of America, but hey, we were there to help those in need and that's what  was important!


Traveling to Spain alone.
Believe it or not, my most recent trip abroad was actually my first trip alone. I've always traveled with a group and a set itinerary. ALWAYS. This trip was something that I really wanted to do and I did it! As Murphy's Law goes, everything on my first trip alone went horribly wrong. I missed two flights, lost my luggage, couldn't find my apartment among many other things, but I survived! Once I got into the groove of things, I asked myself, "why did I not do this sooner?" It was definitely a milestone to be completely alone in a foreign country, but I loved every minute of it!

My second day in Spain, taken before I went to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment