Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Travel Challenge: Day 8--A Favorite Food From Another Country

I'm a fatty and I don't care who knows it.

I love to eat. I love trying foods from different cultures and different countries. It makes me feel more connected to the place that I am visiting, rather than ordering "Americanized" food in a different country.

I've always loved Shepard's Pie. I first tried it at a tea house in, of all places, Kansas. I've been hooked since then, and when I finally went to Ireland and had authentic Shepard's Pie with Guinness, I died. As a birthday present, our bus driver bought me a recipe book of Irish foods. It's been thoroughly abused.

Photo via ifood.tv

Tortilla de patatas. I thought I knew about Spanish food before I traveled to Spain but I was sadly mistaken. Living with a family, I was able to eat typical Spanish meals and the day my host mom made tortilla de patatas, I kissed her. Seriously I did. A few weeks later, my friends and I had a dinner party and we made tortilla de patatas, but it didn't taste the same as it would from a woman who's been making it for years.
Photo via Chicho's Kitchen

 I had this in London and my mouth thanked me for it! I can't remember the name, but as you can see, I had carrots, a huge flaky biscuit/bread type thing, parsnips and beef with Guinness flavored gravy.


 Obviously I thought it was excellent! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment