Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Travel Challenge: Day 13--Favorite Travel Quote AND I'm In the City of Brotherly Love!

Before we get to where I am or why I'm here, I have to share with you my ULTIMATE favorite travel quote. Well, it's not really a quote but more of an excerpt from the fabulous book I'm reading (there will be a review of it soon!) A Year in the World by Frances Mayes.


"When travelling you have the delectable possibility of not understanding a word of what is said to you. Language becomes simply a musical background for watching bicycles zoom along a canal calling for nothing from you. Even better if you speak the language you catch nuances and make more contact with people. Travel releases spontaneity. You become a godlike creature full of choice free to visit the stately pleasure domes make love in the morning sketch a bell tower read a history of Byzantium stare for one hour at the face of Leonardo da Vinci’s Madonna dei fusi. You open as in childhood and – for a time – receive this world. There’s the visceral aspect too – the huntress who is free. Free to go Free to return home bringing memories to lay on the hearth." 


Beautiful.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In other news, I'm in Philadelphia! I've liked what I've seen so far too. I'm here for a journalism convention with the National Association of Black Journalists Student Multimedia Project (what a mouthful!) and while they are keeping me busy, I'm loving every minute of it.






No comments:

Post a Comment