Monday, August 08, 2011

Travel Challenge: Day 15--Advice to Someone Who's Thinking about Traveling

Go.

Seriously, what are you waiting for? There's no better experience than traveling abroad. There's no better way to truly get to know yourself than to go outside your comfort zone and meet new people. GO! 

Camel ride in Morocco. Check.

Safety is an issue of course, but if you take the proper precautions before you go and once you arrive you will be fine! Trust me, I was in London when the 2005 bombings happened. Of course I was scared, but it was a learning experience on how I handle myself in those situations and I kept traveling afterwards.

Money. Depending on what group you go with it may be expensive, but if you REALLY want to go abroad, you'll find a way. Get off your high horse and take out a loan and take that trip to Russia. Your experience in a different country will pay you back! Do fundraising, work two jobs, save money--whatever it takes! Backpack! That's MUCH cheaper than going with a group. Just buy a plane ticket, and take trains and stay in hostels if you're traveling solo.
Grafton Street in Dublin, Ireland


Don't have expectations.


That's the one thing that makes someone not enjoy their time abroad. EXPECTATIONS. ex. Julie goes to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower with expectations that it will be magnificent only to leave disappointed because her expectations exceeded the actual work of art! Do your research and learn about the history and culture of the place you're going but then stop right there. Do not pass go, do n't collect $200.

Sounds stupid right? Well, I've had the most amazing experiences going to a historical monument that I knew nothing about. After I visited it, my mind was blown that I was standing in a cathedral that was built in the 1500's.

Stonehenge 2010
I always have a pleasant time when I travel by not hesitating, having no expectations of my destination and keeping an open mind. Hopefully this advice will help you! Now GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment