Thursday, February 11, 2010

John Freaking Mayer



In a recent interview with Playboy magazine, singer John Mayer had some interesting things to say about having a "hood pass" and his views on interracial dating.

So many blog sites and celebrities took this the wrong and ultimately SLAMMED him saying that he was a racist. It hurts my heart when people don't thoroughly read between the lines. It's obvious that Mayer was trying to come off as witty and clever but ultimately failed, but nonetheless he made valid points. Here are a few excerpts:

MAYER: Someone asked me the other day, “What does it feel like now to have a hood pass?” And by the way, it’s sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a nigger pass. Why are you pulling a punch and calling it a hood pass if you really have a hood pass? But I said, “I can’t really have a hood pass. I’ve never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told, ‘We’re full.’"



PLAYBOY: It is true; a lot of rappers love you. You recorded with Common and Kanye West, played live with Jay-Z.


MAYER: What is being black? It’s making the most of your life, not taking a single moment for granted. Taking something that’s seen as a struggle and making it work for you, or you’ll die inside. Not to say that my struggle is like the collective struggle of black America. But maybe my struggle is similar to one black dude’s.

PLAYBOY: Do black women throw themselves at you?

MAYER: I don’t think I open myself to it. My dick is sort of like a white supremacist. I’ve got a Benetton heart and a fuckin’ David Duke cock. I’m going to start dating separately from my dick.




I didn’t take offense to anything that he said. I could have done without him saying the n word, but he made a valid point. Why should he get a “hood pass” when he has no idea what it’s like to be black or the struggles that the Black community have wen through and continue to go through?

And as far as the not dating Black women part…the way he said it was weird but he makes sense. His “cock is a White supremacist” meaning he’s only slept with White women. Does that make him racist? No. My vagina is racist too because I only date Black men. There’s nothing wrong with that. Am I a racist?

Then he said he needs to separate himself from his dick meaning that maybe it’s time he tries his hand at interracial dating. People need to truly READ AND DISSECT before tearing a person down. Thoughts?



P.S. I STILL LOVE YOUR MUSIC JOHN MAYER!

No comments:

Post a Comment