Monday, February 08, 2010

Will 2010 Bring Quality Music?

With Sade's album Soldier of Love coming out tomorrow and so many rappers getting incarcerated, I have to ask, will this year bring quality music to the forefront after being ignored for so long?

Sade's music is timeless. Now I've never been a die hard fan, but her songs are beyond the R&B crap that we have today. And the quality music I'm talking about doesn't just apply to R&B or hip-hop.



Now I may be biased because I LOVE Norah Jones, but that's because she makes REAL music. None of this Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears music we have out today. R&B crooner Maxwell has returned, Alicia Keys just released an album in December (but she's treading a thin line...) Norah Jones released her album in November and my two other favorite singers Duffy and Goapele are said to be releasing their new albums later on this year! :)

I want music that actually TALKS about something. I am REALLY tired of hearing the degrading albeit catchy tunes about sex and money and cars and everything else superficial in between. There's so much going on in life and going on in the world that singers can choose to speak about besides how much money you have and the Bentley with Louis Vutton interiors.



Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that so many rappers like Gucci Mane, Lil Wayne, Boosie and others are now in prison. Maybe it's a good thing that Beyonce is taking a "break." No shade to her, but lets let some other musicians come out and show the world what real music is.

Why do all the GOOD singers have to be underground? Why can't they get the same attention as Lady Gaga? Half the singers out in our faces today aren't even that good!

My recommendation for singers (also because they're my favorite) are: Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Goapele, Nelly Furtado, Duffy, The Noisettes, Coldplay, Musiq and if you're into rap (these two are the ONLY ones I can tolerate): Lupe Fiasco and Kanye West.



If it were up to me, these would be the ONLY musicians allowed on the radio and TV. But, alas, it's not up to me. So for now I'll just continue to support them.

No comments:

Post a Comment