Sunday, September 04, 2011

A letter to my 18-year-old self

18 and ready for anything

I recently turned 22 and instead of celebrating, I used my birthday as a time to reflect on how far I've come and what I've accomplished, which is something I rarely do. At 22, I'm a college graduate, well-traveled, have a job in my field and have wonderful people in my life. When I was 18, I don't know where my head was half the time. I'm a completely different person now than I was at 18 and if I could travel back in time, I'd give myself this letter.

Dear 18-year-old me,

You still starry-eyed after moving from Kansas to Florida. You really think you've hit it big in this small college town in Florida and that's okay, but just try not to be too naive to things.

You're still heavily hooked on a particular guy back home, but as time goes on, you'll see him as more of a safe haven after the mistakes you've made with the guys down here.



"End of the school year" dinner
Speaking of which, while you've always been a smart girl, PLEASE open your eyes and realize when guys are trying to run game on you. They see you as an "easy target" because of your naivete, but you'll wise up soon enough.

Don't invest too much time in friendships where the energy you put in isn't reciprocated. Unfortunately, you'll have to learn that the hard way, but once you weed out the bad ones, you're left with the most amazing friends....especially your top three.

At the beginning of your second semester, you'll meet your "sister" and her family. Stick with them.

You'll have your own family drama but you'll find a way to bring everyone back to their senses...you always do.

One of the top three
Remember that it's okay to show emotions. You aren't a robot. I understand that letting someone know the real you is frightening, but you have to. It's something you'll wrestle with for the next few years.

Oh and the minor problems you're having with a roommate are NOTHING compared to what you'll experience with future roommates....especially once you move.

You may think that you know it all and that you know how to handle everything, but after a life changing experience later on in life, you'll learn that sometimes a little help is necessary. You'll become the epitome of strong.

Last but not least, your journalism career will take off and only reinforce your love for all things news in the first place. Seize every opportunity that comes your way, because they'll make you the successful journalist you are today.

The things you'll experience will make you unstoppable. Stay true to yourself and love yourself because you are going to be amazing.

Love,

You.




What would you write to your 18-year-old self?

1 comment: