Friday, September 02, 2011

Newest Target For Thieves: Hair Stores

Anyone who knows me knows that I love my hair.

I'm actually really simple when it comes to my hair but I admire women who are adventurous when it comes to theirs. It's amazing to me how one week a woman can have a short bob and the next long wavy tresses down to her back.

Hair is a wonderful thing and I understand people love it, but  this new trend with robbing hair stores is quite the mess.

There have been a string of hair store robberies in the metro Atlanta in the past few weeks. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution thieves go straight to the most expensive type of hair (Indi Remi) and quickly run out the store.
courtesy of ajc.com


The valued cost of the hair stolen? Nearly $50,000.


This isn't just a "one-time" occurrence. This past June a thief in southwest Atlanta stole $30,000 worth of hair extensions.


It's not just in Atlanta either, California, Texas and Michigan have all suffered hair store robberies within recent months with the most expensive robbery valued at $150,000.


According to police, once the hair is stolen, it is usually sold on the streets or on Ebay.


Now, I know times are tough, but hair stores? So now I have to worry about being caught in the midst of a robbery when all I wanted was some hair grease?


For those of you who might not understand the depth of how serious this is (especially in the Black community) watch Good Hair by Chris Rock. That will teach you everything you need to know about this intricate business.


No comments:

Post a Comment