Friday, November 25, 2011

A Common Occurrence

I'm from Kansas.

I'm Black.

Apparently, these two things don't go together.

At least once a week while filling up on gas, some genius makes a comment about my license plate. They usually go something like this:


"Oh well, you're a long way from home"
"Did you lose your red shoes on the way here?"
"Is Toto in the backseat?"

Ha. So very funny...as if I haven't heard it a million times before.

courtesy of kshs.org
However, my favorite reaction (whether they find out I'm from Kansas by my tags or not) is "THERE'S BLACK PEOPLE IN KANSAS!?"

Yes.

In fact Kansas City has a somewhat decent sized African-American population....you just have to know where to go! I can say that when California rapper, Mac Dre was shot and killed in Kansas City I don't think it was by a farmer.

Black people are everywhere, including and not limited to: Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and of course, Kansas.

Honestly, not everything about Kansas is farms and cows and plains. I mean it's not the next New York or Florida, but it's...somewhat decent. Trust me, I know.

Just as people in other countries stared at me because of my skin tone, it amazes me that people IN MY OWN COUNTRY stare at me like I have three heads for being a Black girl that calls Kansas her home. Sheesh.

Maybe I do have two extra heads that I don't know about....

No comments:

Post a Comment